Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Mission – Revisited

I recently reconnected with my second cousin, a fifty-year old software programmer living in Ohio.

“I really admire that you’ve chosen to pursue a life in the arts,” he confessed.

“Oh…it’s not always such an easy path to follow,” I deflected, too embarrassed to directly address his compliment. I must surely be unqualified to accept any admiration for what I judged to be a relatively ordinary and unglamorous life.

“I wished I’d done that,” he continued, “I really wished I’d done something in the arts. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had a good life, but man…I LOVE music. And theatre. And Art! I just love art.”

This completely surprised me. I asked, “But you’re a computer programmer, right? Doesn’t your job require quite a bit of artistry?”

His eyes lit up as if I’d said some magical spell; a magic spell that he, too, knew very well; a magic spell that he’d somehow almost forgotten.

“Well, yes…actually. There is,” he added as his whole demeanor smiled.

--

It is the purpose of this blog to expose the artistry in the seeming banality of the everyday; those common experiences that, when added together, amount to the bulk of a life. It is my hope that through this narrow focus, I will step away from my screen, refreshed, renewed and ready to live more fully, understanding that the potential of the present is both a source for artistic generation and, more importantly, a source of living actualization. In short, through this small frame, it is my hope to find a happier, healthier and more fully capitalized, and artistic, life.

It is, furthermore, my intention that you, the reader, through this lens, will find the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment